I was recently looking at some old photos of myself and I realized, I need to jump off the pity party bus and run alongside it in order to lose some weight. I am starting by saying goodbye to any and all fast food and soda. I didn’t realize how much soda I drank. I figured I don’t buy it when I go grocery shopping so that means I don’t drink a lot. Well my friends, when you are purchasing a $1 large coke from Mickey D’s four to five times a week, that’s a lot of soda!! Kind of gross now that I just wrote that down. Anyway, I digress. Besides no fast food and soda I am also trying to cut back on my carb intake. Now I am Italian so I can’t cut it out all together (I’d be one sad Italian) but I can always cut back. Below is a Spaghetti Squash Mac and Cheese recipe I found, and of course changed. I actually tried to follow this recipe, but then when I took a bite of it, I decided it needed a few extra things added in.
1 large spaghetti squash
Pam cooking spray
1 bag frozen broccoli
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp flour
1 cup milk
1 hand full of cheddar cheese
1 hand full of mozzarella cheese
¼ cup parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
Red pepper flakes
1. Preheat the oven to 400⁰ and wash the outside of the squash thoroughly.
2. Cut the squash in half, long ways, and spray both sides with Pam. Let cook in oven for 50 minutes. Squash should be tender to the touch of a fork when done.
3. Once squash is out of the oven microwave frozen broccoli for 4-5 minutes, until steamed.
4. While squash is cooling and broccoli is cooking, melt butter in skillet and whisk in flour. Once flour thickens add in shredded cheeses and milk while continuously whisking.
5. Lower heat and quickly scoop insides out of squash and place into bowl.
6. Add in cooked broccoli and top with cheese sauce. Add salt, pepper, red pepper and garlic.
**I added a lot more salt than I normally would for any other meal. I also added Tastefully Simple’s Garlic Garlic but garlic powder or minced garlic would work fine.