The only thing missing from this recipe is my mom’s yellow Tupperware bowl. Growing up there were a few staple summer dishes my mom would make. They were in the fridge more often than not in case my friends or any of my brother or sisters friends stopped by. Taco salad was one of the essentials in our house and it was always in a big yellow bowl with a clear top.
It super simple to make and can feed a whole lot of people which is perfect for a house of teenagers who have friends stopping by all of the time. You can really alter it however you’d like. Basically if it goes in a taco, you can throw it in the salad.
This past weekend we had Chris’s dad and his younger siblings down to our house. We went to Disneyland one day and the next day everyone spent the day at the pool while I went to work. Since I knew I wouldn’t be able to cook for everyone I made my taco salad so they would have something to eat with their hamburgers and hot dogs. Chris just had to pull it out of the fridge, pour some extra dressing on top and bring it down to the pool area.
1 lb ground beef
1 package Taco mix
1 small red pepper
1 bag Cool Ranch Doritos
8 oz California French salad dressing
½ head iceberg lettuce
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup olives, halved
1 small onion
1 small carrot, shredded
1. Cook meet until browned, drain and remove from pan.
2. Add Taco seasoning and add a splash of water to smooth together seasoning and meat. Add cheese and refrigerate.
3. Chop veggies and set aside. Chop lettuce.
4. Open bag of chips and crunch chips to bite size pieces.
5. Mix veggies and chips into bowl with meat and cheese.
6. Mix in salad dressing.
7. Can refrigerate after serving for up to 5 days. Before serving left overs, add about a tablespoon of more dressing.